Thursday, 8 May 2014

Lavinia Stamps: Fairies on Fabric.

Hi  Bloggsters  following my post earlier this week, I am now making the canvas for this project.
I do have a tendency to get a bit carried away when working with the Fairies on Fabric downloads.
I so love the designs that I want to be sure that the techniques I use do justice to them.
Just a reminder, here is the picture I have been working on.

 
As promised here are the instructions for completing the canvas.

I am using a 30x25 cm canvas as the frame for this picture.
To start this, I turned the canvas over and covered it with Gesso to seal the wood as I am using the underside.
 
 
 
 
 
To decorate the canvas I started by spreading moulding paste fairly thickly over the edge.


I stamped into the moulding paste using Lavinia stamps and then painted this with diluted Eco Green paint as a wash.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Then painted this with diluted Eco Green paint as a wash.
 
 
 
 
To add colour to the canvas I used Moon Glow's Starburst stain dabbers.
I like these because they are translucent and colour without the thickness of an acrylic paint so you are more likely to retain the texture below and they contain Mica which adds a nice glow to the finish.
 
 
This close-up shows the textural detail.
 
 
 
To help the stamp images stand out better, I went over the stains with black distress ink using a blending tool.
I rubbed this on lightly so that it caught the top of the texture rather than colouring the whole image.
 
You do not need to paint the inside of the canvas as the fabric is going to cover this space.
 
I decided to make some embellishments by printing the digi downloads onto shrink plastic and then cutting these out and shrinking.
This is the shrink plastic I used which is available from


 
 
And these are the embellishments.
Not quite decided where they will go yet.

 
 
Here is the decorated canvas:
I added extra stain with a paint brush to highlight the images.
Then sealed the colour with Spray & Shine by Crafter's Companion.
I prefer a spray glue as there is no smudging with colours that are not waterproof.

 
 
To complete the picture, I wanted to edge it and for this I used silk fabric which I had coloured with dye and then added salt to remove some of the colour (Watercolour Salt Technique) and a shear ribbon.
The effect can clearly be seen here.
 
 
This is the edging when complete.
 
 
Close-up of the stitchwork.
 
 
And the finished panel with the embellishments added.
 
 
 
 I hope you like this project and will go over and visit
Lavinia Stamps to view the range of stamps and downloads available.


Happy Crafting
Back soon,
Angela x











2 comments:

  1. Just love it! It is gorgeous, great work Angela. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too Angela!! I love the stitched panel with that gorgeous watercolour salt technique edging and the treatment you gave to the frame is superb. I love everything about this beautiful project. Anne xxx :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and I hope you enjoyed looking around. Please leave a comment if you can as I really enjoy reading what you have to say.
When I know where you are, I can visit you too.
Angela x

My Blog List

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10