Monday 26 June 2017

Canvas art using Seth Apter dies and stencils.

Welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey.

When I saw this new challenge at A Vintage journey I just new I had to join in.

It's some time since I worked on a canvas so thought I'd give it a go and here are the results.


I started with a box canvas


using it as a shadow box.
 
 
I began by covering it with pages from an old book which is always a good way to cover the staples.

 

Then crumpled up some more for the back.
 

Added texture using a variety of Seth Apter's stencils by Stencil Girl.
 


For the inner section I used a piece of corrugated card which I grunged up by removing some of the paper covering and then scraping the surface with the side of my scissors.

 
Next I added some die cuts also by Seth Apter and
then painted this with Gesso. I generally start with white Gesso as I'm not always sure at the beginning what colours I will end up using.


Then decided to cover the whole thing with black Gesso and when that was dry I started some dry brushing using Seth Apter paint sets by Paper Artsy.
The die cuts below are also by Seth Apter and I used texture paste on some before then painted them all.

 
This piece was decorated using a Seth Apter stamp and heat embossing.
 
 
 
This close-up shows some of the gilding wax which was also added. It works particularly well on the screwed up paper only catching the textured areas.

 
I also added some Clear Prima pebbles which I rubbed over with silver gilding wax.
 

 Close-ups for a better view of the detail and the sentiment which was also from one of Seth's stencils and quite appropriate I felt for this canvas.

 The large metallic button was something I've had for a while and it just seemed like the right time to use it. Rubbed over it with gilding wax and added a smaller pebble.



Side view.
 


 Back View.
Really feels like that could be the start of another project!

 
The sentiment is also from one of the Seth Apter stencils by Stencil Girl.

It was about now that I decided it needed a little something extra!
A little rubbing of Gilding wax and it's ready to be attached.
 
And here is the finished canvas.
 
It may not make a lot of difference but it just felt finished with that extra embellishment on top but what do you think?
 
 Hope you enjoyed watching me make this.
 
 
I would like to enter this Canvas in the following Challenges:
A Vintage Journey: New Monthly Challenge- Canvas.
SanDee & amelie's SteampunkChallenges: June 2017 Challenge.

Now featured on Seth Apter's blog The Altered Page - here.

21 comments:

Redanne said...

What an absolutely stunning project Angela, it looks really timeworn with your dry brushing and yes, I think the added embellishment finishes it off beautifully. I just had to buy that maze die after seeing you use it on a previous project - now I need to get a grip and use it!! Your canvas is incredible!

Thanks so much for joining in our Canvas challenge at A Vintage Journey too. Hugs, Anne xx

Jackie PN said...

Angela!!! I love your new haircut and photo!!! You are so Gorgeous!!!
Sorry just had to tell you that straightaway! ")

Your canvas is very clever and oh so cool! I really love the dimension you have created here!
Jackie xo

Cara said...

Stunning project and thanks for sharing how you made it. The sentiment was genius! I agree the last embelishment on top finished it off. Must confess that I was trying to read the book pages and play guess the book though!

pam said...

Wow this is fantastic Angela, love your mixed media work, thank you for the step by step! on this stunning canvas.
Hugs Pam x

Barb said...

A truly stunning project Angela and thanks for sharing how you made it. Barbxx

S@ndy Diller said...

A simply wonderful design. Love the canvas and the texture you used. Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey.

Sue said...

This is wonderful Angela, I love your canvas with it's beautiful textures xx

Brenda Brown said...

Fantastic canvas. I love it xxx

Karen Dunbrook said...

so super cool...fab details.
thanks for showing you process.
Karen

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Loving this Angela! Thanks for the tutorial! I must check out those products!

Andrea said...

wow what a a clever idea i've never seen the back of a canvas used before its stunning,I dont know how you come up with such awesome thoughts love all the fab shiny detail and words are perfect .thanks for sharing one of your great tutorials again andrea x

Stacy Sheldon said...

this is so cool :) I think you have convinced me I "need" gilding wax

klistersøster said...

Stunning and beautiful shadow box canvas. Good tutorial you've shown. Thank you for showing it on SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges. Hugs, Susan

Cheetarah said...

That is an amazing project!! Thanks for sharing! xoxo Cheetarah

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a knock-out piece, Angela - this is just stunning. I love your process photos, too...really helpful!

sarascloset said...

Oh, durn it! I just lost my long comment! I was so surprised when I saw your AMAZING canvas--you will see how many similarities between yours and mine in our next challenge at AVJ. I was going to use the Broken Maze and changed my mind at the last minute. Kind of happy I did so you won't think I was copying yours! But your canvas is so incredibly cool! Big, Big applause from me! Loving all that gorgeous texture! Thank you for sharing this awesome canvas in our 'Canvas' challenge at A Vintage Journey.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Look forward to seeing it Sara xXx

Julia Aston said...

What a great reverse canvas you created Angela! Love those Seth Apter die cuts and how you pasted/painted/gilded everything - so many wonderful textures! thanks for joining us in the A Vintage Journey Canvas challenge! Julia xx

SewPaperPaint said...

This is FANtastic! I am in love! Big hugs, Autumn

sarascloset said...

Yeah! So happy to see your lovely artwork featured on Seth's blog today!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Thanks Sara, loving your card too. Have a very happy crafty week, Angela xXx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10