Tuesday 26 April 2016

What More Powertex!

Welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey.

Hi all, still enjoying playing with this gungy stuff! and yes I said gungy not grungy Lol!

I saw the current challenge on Anything But Cute using a mood board and thought how interesting it would be to use these colours and the theme to create a dimensional project using the Powertex fabric hardener.
This is the completed project and how I created it.



I used a polystyrene ball and applied some masking tape before starting to ensure the fabric had something to grab onto as the Powertex may not cling well to the polystyrene. 
 

 
 It's difficult to photograph this during the stages in making due to the stickiness of the Powertex but I have managed a few pictures to show you what I did.

So first you need to thoroughly cover your chosen fabric in the liquid.

 
Then cover the ball. I wanted folds and pleats which you create as you attach the fabric.

 
Once this part was complete I used some of the Powertex stones to add texture and some clay dragonflies which I had made earlier with paper clay and moulds.



 
At this stage it needs to be left to dry thoroughly before painting. It is possible to mix paint with the Powertex but that is not the method I wanted to use this time.
 
My thoughts  for this came from the theme of Earth Day which is why I wanted a round shape but I also had my own garden in mind too and the insects that like to fly around the pond so it all kind of became part of the globe.
 
And so to the colour and a few views before we get started.
 
 
I quite like it cream which made it quite difficult to add colour.

 

 
 I wanted to stain this rather than paint it so used Spectrum Noir Aqua Tint Inks in shades of blue.


 I actually started at the bottom allowing some of the ink to drip down then turned it over and worked from the top with the same technique. This gives a nice light coverage with some patchy areas. I deliberately allowed some of the cream to show through too.

 

The next  stage was to add gilding wax to highlight the texture.
 



 
The thing I love with Powertex is that although I have a plan in mind there are always unexpected surprises.
 
I really enjoyed making this piece and I would love to know what you think of it.
 
Happy crafty week,
Angela xXx
 

I would like to enter this project in the following challenges:

Mixed Media Place: April Challenge- Creative Gym #18
" Be Patient. The Best Things Happen Unexpectedly."


Anything But Cute Challenge #12 - April- Earth Day



The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge#23 - Dimension


We Love To Create Challenge 9# Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes

Tando Creative April Challenge "Colour Palette"



22 comments:

Cara said...

Love this, so organic. I think I need to get me some powertex! Cara x

Jackie PN said...

OMGosh! talk about being in texture heaven!!! What a cool orb Angela! Those colors are just gorgeous and work so well with that gorgeous texture!! xo

Barb said...

I love it Angela. That's what I think. Love the colour and how it's drizzled down and what great texture. Barbxx

Jane Royston said...

This is fantastic Angela! Love all the texture, Jane :)

Little Artbee said...

Oh Angela that looks stunning nice, a dream. I love it very much. Thank you for showing us how it arised.
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Helen said...

well it more than hits the brief for anything but cute - I love it!!

Redanne said...

Well, it looks pretty amazing to me Angela, I love those beautiful shades of blue and the texture you created with the 'extras' is wonderful. Loved seeing how you pulled it all together too!

Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful piece with us at Anything But Cute. Anne DT xx

Kyla said...

Fabulous...I have been playin with powertex too....Lovely stuff
Kyla

pam said...

Well I think its fantastic Angela, one project I would love to play with!!, love these gorgeous colours and gilding.
Pam x

Cec said...

Fantastic sculpture with lots of gorgeous texture and colour. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
Hugs!
Cec

Shoshi said...

I love this, Angela. It has a wonderfully watery feel to it and I love the inspiration for it too - can you show us a picture of your pond? Do you have a lot of dragonflies? We had a pond in our last garden and there were always beautiful dragonflies and one day I watched one emerge from its crysallis. Not sure if they will be attracted to our water feature here! I love the gilding wax on your project, and the subtly different shades of blue. It's quite beautiful. I think you may be on the way to converting me to liking Powertex which I've never been attracted by before!

Shoshi

sarascloset said...

Fabulous sculpture, and I would love to have something like this in my perennial flower bed! Fabulous texture and the color is gorgeous! I think I must get some of that Powertex--it looks much simpler to work with than aluminum foil and strips of paper!

Thank you for sharing this beauty with us at Anything But Cute for our Earth Day challenge. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thanks for the WOYWW visit. This is awesome. Thanks for showing the process. I love the colors and wonderful texture you have achieved. I enjoy the Unique. Have a fun week.

Unknown said...

Very cool - thank you so much for taking pictures of your steps - I loved seeing how this amazing piece was created! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Samra said...

WOW! Amazing make!
Thank you for joining our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute!
Samra DT
Paper Talk with Samra

Jac said...

wow what a project !! I must go buy some of that to have a go, the finished result is stunning
Jac

Tsaima Eirini said...

What a surprise for my eyes!!Great work with amazing amount of textures.TFS in Mixed media Place and good luck!!

talkis23 said...

Amazing Thanks for your participation at mixed media Place Challenge

Ruth said...

Another absolute beaut, just adoring the colours you've been using recently combined with a shimmer and hint of gold...perfect!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful and unique project! Love the colours and texture.
Thanks for playing along with us at Mixed Media Place xx

whyducks said...

Lovely. Did you cut a bit off the bottom for it to stand up, or is it sitting on something please?

Mac Mable said...

Totally stunned and in awe of your creativity. Your project is so dimensional, unique and so very beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration and step by steps Angela x.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10