Friday 15 September 2017

A Vintage Journey.

Welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey.
Pleased to have been invited to be a guest designer at A Vintage Journey and I'm here today to show you what I've made.

The theme is 'Altered Art' and was just the push I needed to use a whole collection of boxes I've collected recently.

Now I make no apology but this is photo heavy but I didn't want anyone to miss out on how I made this so get a drink and sit back while I show you what I did.


So the first thing was to trim away the flaps.


And work out the cover.

 
Allowing enough space in the centre for the depth of the pages.

 
Using an old paperback book I covered the front.

 
Spread the glue well to ensure this sticks down fully.

 
 I covered the front of the boxes with more of the old book pages and then started decorating the front cover with textured gel.

 
And then applied Distress Oxide inks.

 
At this stage I started to build up the  design for the cover.
I have die cut several of the Broken Maze and glued them together to give depth, added crackle glaze and then painted them.
 
 
 
Finished them off with Treasure Gold, gilding wax.
 
 
Next I started the inner pages using various Seth Apter stencils.


 
Coloured these with Distress Oxides.


 
Then used Seth Apter Stamps and dies to decorate the pages.


I used more of the paperback pages to cover the back sections.

 
I glued the very front of the pages together.
 
 
And attached paper clips to hold them until dry.
 
 
The pages can be seen here after the clips were removed.
 
 
Now they are ready to be attached to the cover.

 
Where would we be without those paper clips!
 
So here we are all finished.

The front cover.

 
The metal embellishment is by Prima but not sure about the key, just found it in my stash.

 
Lots of lovely detail inside.
 
 
A few bits of Tim Holtz got in there too.



All that Seth stuff just works so well together, love it.







 
If you managed to stay till the end then well done you!
 
Thank you so much for stopping by and any comments will be gratefully accepted.
 
Happy crafting everyone.
 
Angela xXx
 
I would like to enter this project in the following challenges:

Mini Album Makers Challenge Blog launch.
Art Journal Journey# 'Colour In My World'
Country View Challenges # September 2017- 'Metal'
 Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge 30 - 'Anything Mixed Media Goes'
Stamps and Stencils: Challenge - Metallics.
San Dee&Amelie's SteampunkChallenges September 2017 - Anything Goes Steampunk/Industrial.

35 comments:

Redanne said...

Your mini album is stunning Angela, you are so right, the Seth stencils, stamps and dies all work so beautifully together and the muted tones you used on the cover and pages are just exquisite. I really enjoyed seeing how you brought the whole album together. Thank you for being our Guest at AVJ and thank you too for adding this to our first challenge at Mini Album Makers. Anne xx

froebelsternchen said...

This is absoultely fantastic!

Margaret Mifsud said...

What a gorgeous mini book Angela!! I love the Seth Apter stencils, stamps and dies .. they all work so beautifully together! Lovely colour mix and fab textures and I really enjoyed seeing how it all went together. Totally brilliant make!! xx

Words and Pictures said...

What an inspired piece of recycling, Angela - your altered packaging has turned into a most beautiful album. I love the soft chalky colours and wonderful layers of stamping and stencilling. Thank you so much for providing such amazing inspiration for the Altered Art theme as our Pinworthy guest at AVJ.
Alison x

sarascloset said...

What a stunning mini book and genius way to use your box! Those dies and stamps all look so great layered over your inky backgrounds. And I appreciate your wonderful tutorial! Thank you for being our Pinworthy Guest at A Vintage Journey! Hugs!

Brenda Brown said...

This is such an amazing and inspiring work of art Angela, I adore this fabulous little album with all the magnificent details, the gorgeous colours and your brilliant ideas. Thank you so much for taking the time to create something so special for your Pinworthy Guest project at A Vintage Journey. I love it xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

What a brilliant album Angela! I love the creative way you put it together! Fantastic use of those SA goodies and your colour choices are such wonderful!

JulD said...

Beautiful album and such a descriptive tutorial!!!

HMax said...

Love those Distress Oxides! Very cool the way you set up the spine by attaching the pages at the front too. Excellent work! ~Heather

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh Angela! This has made my day! I am in love with your cleverly upcycle turned awesome art book! Your texture and oxide backgrounds are amazing and you've used Seth's products wonderfully. The embellishments on your cover really make it pop, but the sentiments on the pages make them each a wonder to behold! Wow, I'm so in love and so very thankful that you shared with our first challenge at Mini Album Makers. Big hugs, Autumn

froebelsternchen said...

Thank you very much ANgela for linking this wonderful journal to AJJ!
Much appreciated!
oxo Susi

Lys said...

I love your transformation of this box, colours and designs are beautifully put together, and the cover is amazing!

Meggymay said...

This is a fabulous and colourful project, all the pages look great.
Yvonne

maj. said...

This is really special project!!!

pam said...

Wow Angela, fantastic book you created, love the decoration and wonderful colours.. perfect keepsake book.
Hugs Pam x

Crafty Claire said...

Wow! Awesome project. Would love to touch it!!!!

Anonymous said...

that is fantastic Book great ideas like you did it!
fabulous!!!
Happy weekend
Elke

Nancy Wethington said...

Repurposed & altered in one amazing design! Thanks for entering your book in the Mini Album Makers Challenge blog.

A Pink said...

An amazing project Angela. Love everything about your fabulous book and your excellent showcasing of those fantastic stamps, stencils and dies. inspired recycling . Thanks for sharing your step out and for being a very worthy Guest designer at AVJ today x

Licho_Nie_Spi said...

Very clever!
Thank you for sharing it at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenge!

Kyla said...

Sorry I am a bit late for WOYWW so caught up on your recent blog posts. Love this make, so detailed and intricate.

Kyla #19

Shoshi said...

O my goodness Angela, this project is just gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! Mouthwatering colours and textures! Congrats on being a guest designer - they will love you!! I've used a box as a book cover too - they work well, don't they, and it's great the satisfaction you get from recycling rubbish into art. Thank you for your visit and your kind words - everyone is remarking on my weight loss these days and I'm feeling very chuffed with myself lol! Sorry to hear you've got problems with your parents - we've had our fair share too and it's not easy. I'm sorry I haven't visited you in an age but we seem to have been terribly busy lately (blame most of it on the kittens!) and I'm behind with most things at the moment and need to catch up. Off to look at some of your recent blog posts!

Shoshi

Inna Bronnikova said...

This is absoultely fantastic! It's such a joy to have you share with us in our first challenge at Mini Album Makers.

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely fantastic Angela!! This is amazing and I am so glad you stepped it out for us!
May I ask you, "oh Mighty Crafter" that you are, heehee
making the book yourself, I see you scored it, what type of scoreboard do you use or do you create with out one? I have been considering those journals dies, but cost wise and they are only one style/size, I would rather recycle as you do and make my own. So...what do you say?

The pictures over at Vintage Journey, Huge Congratulations for being covered over there, well those photos do not do justice to your gorgeous book! Truly you rock those Oxides and Seth's dies! I love it!
Jackie xo

Belinda Basson said...

I love the fact that you made all your pages with ink! This is a fabulous album. Quite inspiring.

Cara said...

Oh wow, this is fabulous. Thanks for sharing the step by step with us. I shall have to raid the cardboard recyling pile before it goes in the wheelie bin! Got to love treasure gold, we had 10 of us all using it on Saturday, no wonderful we were so giggly when we finished!

Lyndas Crafty Hall said...

Wowsers! Wonderful work. Thank you for sharing the tutorial. I must have a go myself!Thank you for playing along at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog this month. Hope to see you again soon
DT Lynda x

Neet said...

Love what you have done - it looks wonderful. Anything Seth appeals to me and I love how you have used the oxides throughout. Brill!
Hugs, Neet xx

Gloria Stengel said...

Your tutorial was GREAT. Such a fun play time with all your crafty toys! The end result is fantastic! Thanks for joining our FIRST challenge at Mini Album Makers!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Super inspiring, Angela! I love that chalky look of the distress oxides! I came through a link on Autumn's Mini Album Makers' Challenge Blog. I might try take part next month if I can get my act together!

rachel said...

This is absolutely brilliant - I adore your album - fantastic. Thanks for joining us at Countryview challenges and good luck! Hugs rachel x

Nora said...

Excellent work!!! I love it!!!

FiKenward said...

What a cool mini album, so much work and details. Thanks for playing along with us over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media challenge.

Words and Pictures said...

Great to have you play along with the first Mini Album Makers Challenge with this wonderful guest piece... I missed that the first time around!
Alison x

Miriam said...

What a great album.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10