Sunday 5 October 2014

The Body Beautiful for The Mirror Crack'd Challenge Blog.

  A big welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey.

Hi Blogging friends  here to show you my project for The Mirror Crack'd Challenge Blog this month.




And this is how it started:
 
 
 
If you are interested, I purchased this from Hobbycraft and had no idea at all when I got it, what I would do with it but just knew it would be interesting to alter.
As this month's theme for the Mirror Crack'd is The Body Beautiful it seemed like a good time to use it.
 
Although the body is beautiful in it's own right, it is even better when embellished and as hands are meant to hold things I looked for something that might be appropriate and decided on the dragonfly by Tim Holtz.
If you have ever been lucky enough for a dragonfly to land on your hand you will know how beautiful they are and I hope mine are too.
 
 
I started by die cutting the dragonfly in craft and holographic card and then acetate.
 
 
I used Distress embossing powder to decorate the body of the dragonfly as seen below.
 
 
Next I rubbed over the die cut insects with black ink and die cut the cogs which would build up the texture on the arm.
 
 
The cogs were attached randomly to the arm and hand.
 
 
 
 
I continued with this until complete and then covered it with builders foil strip. You may remember seeing me use this before when I made Mini BP the Steampunk robot.
It is sticky on the back, comes in different widths and is very cheap to buy.
Here is my lovely tool box full of metal working equipment by Walnut Hallow.
 
 
Once the whole thing is covered and the metal smoothed into place, I covered the whole thing with black acrylic paint and then rubbed over to remove the excess.


 
To seal this, I painted on Mod Podge and left it to dry.
You can see the texture stands out really well.


 
I attached the dragonflies with metal screw brads,
 
 
 
 
and completed the piece by adding a number of the brads around the arm and hand.
I am not usually a big lover of holographic card but this just works for me Lol!
 
 


 
 
 
Now it's time to pop over to look at what my fellow Team Members have made this month and maybe join in the challenge.
 
I am entering this in the following challenges:
A Vintage Journey. "Heavy Metal"
Country View challenges. "Sparkle and Shine"
Left Of Centre.      Challenge # 48
 
Hope you enjoyed looking.
Happy crafting and thanks for stopping by,
 
Angela x

29 comments:

Jackie PN said...

Angela! You rock!!! This is soooo cool! I love it and how you achieved it!! Fabulousness!! ") You get my vote for the winner! teehee

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Fantastic alteration, Angela, love it!!
TFS the process

Keren Howell said...

Stunning project Angela, a brilliant idea beautifully done. I may have to get one of those hands, been fancying one for a while but couldn't think of something to do with it so thanks for the inspiration! xxx Keren

Steph said...

What an amazing work of art. Beautiful details in every inch. Thanks for sharing your talent with us at LOC.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How cool - that's a breathtaking creation, love all the details.

pam said...

hi Angela, this is absolutely fantastic, looks amazing..thanks for the tut..
pam x

Redanne said...

Angela, this is a fabulous creation (I hope BP Mini Me is not too jealous..), I love how you used the cogs and the dragonflies are stunning in the holographic card.

Thanks so much for joining in our Heavy Metal Challenge at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

stampingbowd said...

Wow! This is amazing!!! Stunning work of art. The dragonflies are such a fun element!

Anonymous said...

Great piece Angela! Love your metal and the dragonflies. Karen.x

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Angela,
I have to say "WOW" as I think your hand is just gorgeous, and the dragonflies are just beautiful, I also am not a lover of halographic paper, but goodness how wonderful the dragonfles look.
Smiles:)
Sue

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh wow,, this is so very clever... LOVE IT!!! Brilliant piece of steampunk goodness!

Unknown said...

Hi Angela! Your creation is jaw-droppingly beautiful and very original indeed! Love the dragonfly! Fabulous design! xx

Pamellia said...

holy cow Angela, I don't know where to start! This is just amazing! Your steampunk gears and silver finish are fantastic and those holographic dragonflies are out of this world! What a work of art you have created!! big hugs :)

okienurse said...

So awesome. Angela this is drop dead gorgeous! I have been trying to think of what to do with a couple witches hats for Halloween and I may have to borrow your idea for the gears and foil etc. Thanks for sharing! Vickie

Jenny Marples said...

Utterly stunning Angela!!! LOVE this. Jenny x

Ivy (Ivette) said...

Heavy Metal! I LOVE THIS!! I know you had a great time creating this piece. Time well spent...
Ivette

Cec said...

This is so elegant. I use the same foil and tools but have never made anything this wonderful - thanks for some inspiration.
Hugs!
Cec

Susanne Rose said...

Awesome!!! So cool. Hugs, Susanne.

crafty creations said...

Wow Angela this is just amazing - all that texture and grunginess - pure brilliance

Terry said...

Oh my greatness! What an incredible transformation in Heavy Metal. I just love all the cogs and gears you used for the hand's background! Fabulous and thank you for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey.

voodoo vixen said...

This is stunning Angela! Love everything about it, the cogs, the steel look of the arm, the dragonflies.. it is wonderful!

Merethe A said...

I just think it looks great. :)
Ma :) Team Mate TMC

Jools Robertson said...

Fabulous Project

So much metallic detail and finished perfectly with the Dragonflies

Thank you for joining in our Challenge at A Vintage Journey

Jools x

Words and Pictures said...

Wowzer! What a cool creation! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
Alison x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wow! what a fabulous project for our Heavy Metal challenge! All the dies under the metal give such a wonderful texture and then the addition of the dragonfly - just stunning!! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jennie

maureenjscott said...

Fabulous! I love your project, Thanks for sharing at LOC, Mo dt coordinator. xxx

Julia Aston said...

Wow - how awesome is this hand - love the gears underneath and wonderful dragonflies - big congrats on winning at A Vintage Journey with this delightful project!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS Angela on your win! Fantastic piece. Karen.x

Words and Pictures said...

Should also have said thank you playing along at Country View Challenges too, of course.
Alison x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10