Sunday 4 May 2014

Tim Holtz Compendium of Curiosities.

Hi Bloggers I have been working on some of the techniques in Tim's new book and this week I have been using the Marbling effect.
I am entering this design in the Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge 1 and The Crafty Cardmakers, It's a Bug's Life callenge #115.

We have been asked not to post the instructions for this technique as it is felt that this would be unfair on Tim so if you want the instructions you will need to purchase the book which I know is available here.

 
This is the card I have made using this technique.
I couldn't resist using the dragonfly stamp as it has always been one of my favourites.
I stamped the wings again on acetate and embossed them before cutting them out and mounting onto the Dragonfly.
 
 
 
I created several samples using the marbling technique including one on black card which I think works well. 
 


 
The following sheets were done using the paint that was left over which is why they appear to have less paint on them.


 
After producing the samples I cut some of the card into squares and rectangles using the Stamps Away template.

 
I used one of the distress inks to create the background colour for the card blank and removed some of the colour by splattering on water and blotting.
 
 
 
I then taped the mask down over the card and attached the shapes through it to ensure they were correctly positioned.


 
I found that by putting glue onto a plastic stamp block it was easier to spread the glue onto the back of the shapes but I am sure you have your own method for doing this.



Here you can see the completed arrangement.


 
I then used some of the marbled card to mat and layer the stamped image which I had edged with distress ink.
 
With the topper attached and the edge of the card finished here is the completed project.


 
 
Hope you like it.
Happy crafting,
 Angela x


14 comments:

JanBianchi said...

Very nice.

Claudia N. said...

Oooh, the technique used on the black card looks stunning. Will have to give this a try too, Angela!
And I can see why this is one of your favourite stamps.

A beautiful card! And so cleverly done!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Redanne said...

Your marbling looks amazing and I love how it turned out on the black card, you used some lovely colours. It was a great idea to use the mask too and I love the dragonfly, one of my first (and favourite) Tim purchases. The end result is absolutely stunning and your step by step is excellent! Hugs, Anne xx

Becky said...

A beautiful card love the effect on the blk card. Becky x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Your patchwork painty background is wonderful! I love that dragonfly too! Gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for playing along with us on our first challenge at CC3 Challenge!!!

Almo said...

Love your different marbling combinations Angela,great colour choice as is one of my all time favourites the dragonfly stamp. I have not tried the technique on black card before but it looks stunning so must give it a go. Mo x

Unknown said...

Love the way that you used your 'blocks' to create this wonderful background... your colors are very fun too... LOVE Dragonflies... so this is a GREAT piece to me... love it... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

Lin said...

Wow love your patchwork background, and that dragonfly image is perfect for our challenge.

Thanks for sharing

Lin
Crafty Cardmakers and More

akmoose said...

I love your tiled background!

Candy C said...

Felix...now THIS is a very cool piece! I love your marbled and tiled background. That just is so stunning! I also love Tim's dragonfly and how you've matted it, colorized it to coordinate perfectly with your tiled background. Such a nice, clean piece of art. Thanks for joining us at CC3C. <3 Candy

Kim x said...

Angela this is just fabulous. I can see that I am going to add Tim's new book to my collection.
Like you this stamp is one of my all time favourites.
Thank you for entering my challenge at CCM&M. Good Luck
hugs Kimx

sara j said...

I do like it - very much! Great idea to use black as a background.

Sherry said...

Absolutely beautiful Angela. Love that dragonfly and your marbled squares are wonderful, really show off the technique a treat.

Thanks for your comment on my entry too x

Kim x said...

A well deserved place in my Top 5 Angela, this is fabulous xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10