Wednesday 13 March 2019

WOYWW # 510 - What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday.

Welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey. 

Hi Workdesk friends. 
Here we are for another Wednesday at the Workdesk. 
I am here again to show you:

"What's on my Workdesk this Wednesday".

If you don't know what this is all about then please visit the
 
Stamping Ground, our host Julia will explain.


So here is my desk for today!



Hi all!
Exploding box is definitely nearly there. Need a bigger basket really but would only fill it even more Lol!
I have a sweet little biscuit tin just to the right but not sure what I will use it for yet.
A few finished cards are hanging around.
Including this:


 You may remember me showing you this Masterboard which at the time I had no idea what I was going to do with it well it ended up like this:



And I've made cards with it and posted one of these on Monday, you can find it here.
The other thing I wanted to show you was the wooden stamp that was on my desk last week. 
Lots of you have asked about it and one of the things seems to be that some of you have tried these with ink.
They are really meant to be used with paint on fabric but I have tried them out with Distress Oxides with some success.


After some of you asked about these I tried stamping with the original Distress Ink on paper. 
You can get an image but I find it's best to do this over a soft surface as you can see that some of the images above have sections missing. These are very solid stamps so really need something pliable underneath to get a good image.


However I then tried Distress Oxides which seem to work better and an interesting effect can be achieved by spraying the stamp lightly with water after applying the ink to the stamp.


You can see the two effects here are quite different.


You are always going to get a textured finish when using ink straight from the container as the wood itself is textured but this tends to be lost when water is added.


Any way this is what I ended up with and I'm sure I will find some use for it.


If you use these stamps I think you need to be aware of the texture you will get, though I quite like it they are never going to behave like a rubber stamp but you do get a better image when they are used with paint just apply it lightly with a sponge.

 Better not keep you any longer, desks to visit Lol!

So that's me done for today.

 Thanks for stopping by and hope you will pop over and join in the visits around the other desks.

 I'm off now to see what everyone else is up to.
Have a great woyww 
and 
happy crafting,

Angela x

22 comments:

Helen said...

good to see you experimenting with those wooden stamps. Can't remember what I've seen them demo with at shows.. probably paint as you say. Love the card you made from your masterboard! Helen #4

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

That's an interesting experiment Angela, makes me wonder how they would react if using versamark? I know they work best on a softer surface, I've even seen someone demo using a towel underneath. Your pattern looks quite vintage. I'll look forward to seeing what you use it for.
Happy WoywW Hugs Tracey #7 xx
P.S That was a great previous card btw ;)x

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I was brave this week - I threw away a tin! I'd kept it from Christmas but realised that I wouldn't use it for anything, I've got enough. Brave huh? I do like that metallicy green masterboard, gorgeous colours.
Hugs LLJ 2 xxx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Angela, great job with those wooden stamps, they do make great masterboards with lots of possibilities. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #4 X

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for showing us your experiments....Love the final master board and I look forward to seeing it again in due course. Yes i think you need a bigger basket ....LOL x.

Annie said...

I love how crafters always seem willing to share what they learn from their experiments. Love the effects you've been getting.
Hugs,
Annie x #11

glitterandglue said...

Morning Angela. A fascinating post - well done on trying lots of ways to use that stamp. Must show this post to a friend who has recently bought one of those stamps. You have managed to get some lovely results. The prep is all done now - took some time, but it has finally come together - so trust the worship group, kids church teachers etc all approve:-)
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #1

Annie Claxton said...

HI Angela, gorgeous stamps, the effect you've achieved reminds me of vintage printed calico type fabric, very pretty. Those wooden stamps also can work quote well if you use them to make an impression into something soft, like clay, thick gesso or modelling paste. Have a great week :o) Annie #21

Neet said...

I love looking at those Indian stamps when I see them at shows. they would look good just as a collection on a coffee table. My friend has lots (and I mean lots - she got a lot given as well as already had loads) and she does quite a lot of textile work with hers
Interesting to see you using them with ink - I suppose if you think of it the DI Oxides are the closest we have to paint (thinking watercolour) so maybe that is why they work? Have you tried with brush markers and things like that? Interesting to experiment and I love the effects you got.
Hugs, Neet 10 xx

Marit said...

Thanks for testing the wood stamps in different ways/materials and showing the photos, it's really interesting to see the results! I love the 'soft tone' it gives when you add water to the stamp first. And I think you are right: don't buy a bigger 'exploding box'... the explosion will only be bigger too ;) Happy woyww and a big hug from stormy Holland. Marit #19

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Angela,

Thanks for sharing your experiments using the wooden stamps. Using them on a canvas tote would be really cool! I used to have one decades ago but have no idea where it's at now....

Your desk looks nice and busy!

Happy WOYWW
Kay (25)

Caro said...

Love the masterboard and your experiments with the stamps. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely week. With love and God Bless. Caro x (#17)

Diana Taylor said...

Your masterboard is beautiful and I love the addition of the green foil, it really adds a touch of sparkle. Using the wooden stamps is definitely harder on paper - I have a few but really only keep them for fabric. I always stamp with an old mouse mat under my work and it seems to work for the wood block stamps too.
Just popped over and had a look at your gorgeous dragonfly card - I love that colour scheme and the dragonfly stamp is fab.
Hope you have a great week,
Diana x #16

Sue Jones said...

That masterboard is GORGEOUS!! The stamps and the experimenting look fun - always the best bit - having a play and seeing what happens.
Sue x

StampinCarol said...

I love seeing experiments such as your working with your wood stamps. Interesting effects! And what a difference the before and after masterboard! Did check out your cards. Beautiful! Have a great week!
Carol N #22

Stacy Sheldon said...

Hi Angela, ooh I like the softness effect the sprayed images have and that was smart to outline them too :) ~Stacy #31

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated WOYWW and thank you for your earlier visit to my blog. That stamp is gorgeous, and you are making some wonderful backgrounds. Ali x #9

Sarah Brennan said...

A really useful tutorial with those wooden stamps Angela. Great to see the different effects. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #3

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I agree with the wooden stamp suggestion - when I use them, I place my paper on a thick layer of towelling in order to get enough pliability for a solid impression. There are so many exotic ones that it's a great thing to try!

Lindart said...

Hi Angela! I love the card you made, especially how it goes around to the back of the card! Awesome! Your wooden stamps behave just like mine do, but I haven't tried them with distress inks yet. I was wondering if there was a way to seal the stamp - maybe stamping it into glue and letting it dry. I may try that and let you know! I love the patterns on these stamps, and I do stamp them using a soft mouse pad, but a clearer image would be nice. Have a great week, Lindart #26

Julia Dunnit said...

Fascinating stuff Angela, the wooden stamps are just lovely, the soft surface and paint thing is a bit frustrating in terms of hitting on the best way to get a full image, but they are lovey images aren’t they, I love that you’ve got whole pages of them just waiting now...I sense some more lovely cards in your future! When I enlarged your desk photo before I started reading, I couldn’t see the wood stamps too easily and the only thing that came to my mind was cupcakes! Probably says way too much about me.

Heather M said...

Hi Angela, sorry for the late visit. Love the colours on your masterboard and the card you made with it. I have seen the wooden blocks, but don't own any. I've too much stuff that I've bought and not used. Now my visitors have finished for a couple of weeks, I plan to have a tidy up and clear out. Have a lovely week Heather x #24

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10