Friday 15 September 2023

Friday Fun Day with Smiles.

  Welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey.

Angela here again to show you what I've been up to this week.
Collecting together a few more photographs from the Steampunk festival.


And it's not just costumes but some great imaginative construction too.


There are some really imaginative modified Steampunk machines.


You name it and it can become Steampunk.


Real Steam powered engines.


Modified Modern machinery.


Lots of crazy ideas too.




And robots of course.


And don't let the Goths miss out here today so we'll pop back to Whitby one more time.


I always think these photographs look almost unreal.
Whitby Abbey North Yorkshire is just stunning.
The ruins you see here are 11th Century built just after the Norman Conquest, though a monastery was built here in the 7th century around 657AD.


To the side of it is the church surrounded by grave stones.
You can see why the Goths love it so much.


The grave stones are very old but you can still read some of them and this one was very decorative too.


You can just see the Abbey top right.


That's hubby in the striped shirt.


From there we went into the church.


Which has some interesting pieces.





When we finished here we went back down the steps to the town for lunch.


It is thought that the 199 steps were used as a test of Chritian faith to those who wished to worship in St. Mary's church. Climbing the steps would prove that you were faithful.


I could eat this every day, beautiful seafood salad gorgeous.

Have a great weekend everyone and
 thanks for stopping by.

And if you would like some more smiles you just need to pop over to see what our other friends have been doing this week at Annie's for
"This Week's Smiles" and you can also share your  smiles too.


Angela x

9 comments:

mamapez5 said...

Oh Angela, those steampunk images really made me smile. Not my 'thing' but all pretty amazing all the same.
Whitby Abbey looks amazing. It makes such good photographs. And yes, I can see why Goths are drawn to it.
Hope you have a good week. Kate x

Annie said...

What fab photos Angela. Thanks for sharing them. That's the sort of salad I could eat every day too.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

I love, love love this!!! Ingo has an R2D2 somewhere, too.
This is creativity to the max! Wonderful!
I know it is stupid, but graveyards make me sad. Even when I still had my company car... I drove straight to my Brother, didn´t stop to visit my parent´s grave. I have pics of them hanging from happy times...
199 steps. Have fun with that!
Have a great Friday, days ahead full of smiles xXx

Valerie-Jael said...

I'm not a Goth, but I still love that Abbey, I sometimes dream of it. And great 2 see the steampunk folkd and creations and some glimpses of Lincoln, too - another place I miss! Happy Friday, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always LOVE the steampunk photos you share. They are always wonderful and I love seeing the creativity, the costumes, etc. This always makes me smile.

I also enjoyed the photos from Whitby Abbey. Almost surreal and so amazing how this has lasted so long. Didn't I read somewhere that Henry VIII got rid of all the cathedrals and churches when he decided to become a protestant? thanks for sharing these wonderful photos, Angela. Sorry I'm late visiting. Time has not been my friend this week.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ah, the Church of England, NOT the Protestant Church. It did eventually become protestant, didn't it? I knew that Henry got his annulment by forcing a new religion on the country.

I am sure you are familiar with Lucy Worsley. She presented a six episode series for PBS (Public Broadcasting, i.e. no commercials) that documented all of Henry's wives and how he "got rid" of four of the six. When I created the Kings and Queens altered book, I spent a lot of time on Henry and his six wives and children, too. Thanks for correcting me on the protestant issue.

Crafting With Jack said...

Great photographs. Love the one of the Abbey. I have never seen it that close before. Most of mine are from across the harbour. Looks very interesting.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Good heavens, the steampunkery alone had me drooling, and then you got into crumbling architecture, ancient headstones and food. I'm set up for the day with all the ecstasy. Many thanks for a great look around your environs (and I'd pretty much kill for that seafood salad!). Sending hugs from Canada, my friend.

Crafty Claire said...

I love Whitby, it's so atmospheric especially when the weather is a bit rough. Your photo looking up at the abbey is great xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10