Friday 29 September 2023

Friday Fun day with Smiles.

  Welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey.

Angela here again to show you what I've been up to this week well this was a few weeks ago now and when we left Whitby we went to Matlock Bath.
If you don't know this place it got the name because of the natural thermal water.
The history of this goes back to 1698 but the story is too long to cover today.


This is the hotel where we stayed.


 
The historic grade 2 listed building dates from 1770 when it was originally part of the larger New Inn built during the height of the Georgian spa era. Subsequently bought by wine merchant Job Hodgkinson in 1830's the large oval sign outside still bears his name and much of the ground floor interior remains intact from this time. 
Great care has been taken to restore the remainder of the building to it's former Victorian splendor whilst satisfying the building to it's former Victorian splendor whilst satisfying the needs of the discerning traveller.

I think that's enough to give you an idea about it so here are some photos of this lovely hotel.


Breakfast.


And dinner.

 
Gorgeous food.


Scrummy chocolate.


And the rest of the hotel is just as good providing you don't want somewhere modern with boring grey walls that is!


Sitting room.


Hallway.


Bar and dining area.



Gorgeous old till.


Bet our friends at the Steampunk festival would love this.
I had no idea when I booked this what it was like so it was a lovely surprise.

I will show you more of what we got up to while we were there next week but for now we've been busy in the garden.


We brought this back from my mum's when we emptied the house and it's been to the sand blaster's. It originally came from a large house near the village where my mother lived, my Grandfather bought two of them when the house was being sold off but he sold one some years ago however mum kept her's much to the disappointment of the guy who would have liked them both so now it's got a new home and I love it.


Finally for today we've been cutting back the plants in the garden.
This is the Wisteria and it's massive!


Don't worry though because it will all grow back next year.


If you want a smile to finish off with, can you see who's watching what's happening?

Have a great weekend everyone and
 thanks for stopping by.

And if you would like some more smiles you just need to pop over to see what our other friends have been doing this week at Annie's for "This Week's Smiles" and you can also share your  smiles too.

Angela x

8 comments:

mamapez5 said...

I am always amazed at how much debris there is to clear away when we have pruned one bush. We have to tackle a tree by our front gate very soon.
The hotel is beautiful. What a lovely place to stay. And the food looks very good too. I look forward to hearing more about Matlock Bath next week. Kate x

Iris Flavia said...

That is truly a very beautiful hotel! And now I´m getting hungry (which is good as a quarter pan-pizza waits to get ready!).
Oh, am I glad we only have a balcony, garden is so much work! And then also under supervision ;-)
Have a great Friday, hugs xXx

Annie said...

What an amazing hotel....treasures everywhere you looked [including you in the mirror of course].
Hugs,
Annie x

Camilla Fisher said...

What a lovely hotel. I despair of modern places and, yes, they're always grey! There used to be an advert for Twix where a character called Norm said, "Grey never goes out of fashion, because it's never been in fashion!" How wrong he was!

Valerie-Jael said...

That hotel is beautiful, I much prefer older and historic places to modern ones. I often used to stay at Wasingham, in Norfolk, and the hotels there were always ancient, but I loved them! Happy Friday, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love this Victorian hotel. I was most impressed with every room and all the spaces you shared with us, Angela. Just stunning rooms and awesome looking food, too. I'd have asked to use that old till as a rubbing.

Loved the urn. It will be awesome in the spring when you plant new flowers.

Lots of brush to clean up. At least you had a helper. Have a super Friday and rest of the weekend, dear Angela.

I got a "Failed to Publish." I'll be back.


Anonymous said...

Oh what a gorgeous hotel! Lots of period detail. Many old things. I only hope the plumbing was modern.
Good work done in the garden.
Ps I spied you in the mirror.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

That is a stunning hotel, Angela...the layers of history are amazing, to say nothing of the food you enjoyed. I'm literally green with envy.

The gardening looks a massive job, and the results will undoubtedly bring huge joy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10