Monday 27 July 2020

Masterboard Monday.

 Welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey.

I am here today to show you a card made with this Masterboard, well one of them at least:




I always find when I start using the Gelli Plate it's difficult to stop so quite a few samples to work with.


And a finished card too.
Despite the distraction I did get round to using one of the samples. 


The method used for this sample is one that Kate Crane often uses where small blobs of paint are placed onto the plate 


and then you use a brayer to spread the ink but this must be done carefully so as not to mix the colours which could create mud.


I'm using Acrylic paint for this project stamping it with some Carabelle texture plates and toilet rolls.
The paint must be moist for the paper to lift it but if it's dry just cover the whole thing with a thin coat of white or a pale colour and then apply the paper. Any colour left on the plate can also be lifted in this way.


I used the same texture plate to stamp onto the card blank.
The first one was stamped with a full ink load and then I used up was was left by stamping the card with small sections of the stamp to give a grungy Look.

There are many ways to create the design but I find it's better to choose just a few tools for the job at least to begin with say three different things.


I like to keep all my Gelli stuff together at the ready and that is one tip I would give you, always make sure you have everything before you start and that includes the paper you intend using.


I like to place my Gelli plate on a craft mat but you could use a sheet of paper just as long as the surface is flat and smooth.


The samples you see here were made with Sellotape and then any left-over spaces were gilded but you could add mica powders or glitters, anything that would stick to the sellotape.


These samples were done on black card which gives a different finish. I used stencils and bubble wrap on 
these.


Always clean the plate thoroughly before putting it away (baby wipes are good) but do this carefully as it is possible to damage the surface. 
Often you will see artists saying that you don't need to clean the plate during the process but just watch out for any paint that clumps as pressure  again could mark the plate. 
This plate has been used several times but still looks almost like new. 
The same goes for the brayers (rollers), clean these thoroughly when you've finished. 


One more look at the card and a close up of the print.


I also used up some of the die cut waste on the card. I quite liked those and it seemed a shame to waste them then finished off with a die cut sentiment and some enamel dots.

I would love to hear your comments and any tips for this technique.

Many thanks for stopping by and happy crafting,

Angela x

6 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Wow .....to the masterboards Angela and what glorious colours, gel art, stencils and mark making x. The texture plate stamping looks fabulous too x.
One unique and artsy card and I love it!....x
Thank you for the step by steps and the tips along the way and always good to see the toilet rolls in action!....Angela x.

Craftyfield said...

I clean my plate and brayers too, I hate starting with leftovers... I haven't got any tips apart from what you mentioned except to suggest using inks (pigment inks, Versafine in particular) for a change of technique. Inks don't dry so quick and are transparent which is a totally different process.
Have a great week, Angela! x

Win Dinn, Artist said...

That is just a wonderful card, Angela, and now I have texture plate envy. You can always manage to inspire me with your fabulous work - many thanks!

Words and Pictures said...

I always enjoy seeing process photos - love all those dots of paint on the gelli plate! Fabulous work with the prints and with the card-making from all your colourful work.
Alison x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It's a lovely process using the gelli plate, I love the unique patterns it gives us. Barbara Grey was the one who introduced me years ago well before all those fancy shapes and sizes became available now. My favourite thing to use is lace with the plate, you know my love of lace and it gives a beautiful impression. Lovely choice of colours you have plenty to keep you going there.. Fabulous us of those scraps, makes for a beautiful card Angela. Hugs Tracey x
P.S I too keep everything together (my best brayers too..) x

Crafty Claire said...

Lovely card. I'm intrigued by using sellotape to lift a print. I suppose it would work with masking tape too but you'd lose the transparency. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10