Friday 16 October 2020

Friday Fun Day with Smiles.


 Welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey.

Angela here again to show you what I've been up to this week.
Been to take my mum her shopping and thought you might like to see where we've been.
I know this sign says North and South but if you live in London you will know that it's all North really and if you live in Scotland you'll believe it''s all South! Well it's all relative really isn't it Lol!


However if you know anything about the story of Robin Hood you may recognise some of the town names.


Of course Robin Hood wouldn't have seen this lot on the A1 towards Clumber Park which was originally part Sherwood Forest where you can still see the Major Oak. It is believed that Robin Hood slept in this tree though the story is a little confused as to who he was and what period in time he excited if at all.


This sign is actually in the village of Blyth, there's a nice Craft Shop here.


And here it is!


Blyth is a sweet little village.


This beautiful old  bridge goes over the river Ryton and was built in 1770 and has traffic lights as you can only get one car over at a time but they have kept it in good condition as without it the trip would take a lot longer.

This is what it looks like from the side view.
It's so good to see how well they have maintained this very old piece of UK history. It is Grade 1 listed so it should be maintained for years to come.


Beautiful landscape and woodland obviously.


We're just coming into the village now and you can just see the new builds that are taking place behind the old farm house.
Originally there wasn't much else here than farms until they opened the coal mine (now closed).
My great grandfather was one of the first engineers to work there and the family moved here from Staffordshire.


It's a pretty typical old style South Yorkshire mining village called Thurcroft.

And here is the really interesting bit, well I like it anyway.


A lot of people think that Sherwood Forest was only in Nottinghamshire but it actually went at least as far as Doncaster and all the streets where my mum lives have medieval names.


And the next one you might recognise.


This is the street that I lived in and where my mum still lives and you may recognise the name  if you are a lover of the Robin Hood stories.
Anyway that's the end of the history lesson for today!


Here's Maisie keeping an eye on stuff at my mum's.

And finally a few more puppy funnies:





Guess that's it for now and hope I've not tired you out.

Have a great weekend everyone and
 thanks for stopping by.

And if you would like some more smiles you just need to pop over to see what our other friends have been doing this week at Annie's for
"This Week's Smiles" and you can also share your  smiles too.

Angela x

11 comments:

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Those cartoons are hilarious! Really made my day! Enjoy your weekend Angela!

Lillianb said...

Love all the pictures of your journey and lots of lovely views Love te puppy funnies.

Thank you for your visit to my blog,

Take care and stay safe,

Lilian B # 8

Annie said...

Lovely photos of your trip out with your mum. Looks like you had a lovely journey. Your dog funnies always make me laugh even though I think I've seen a couple of them before.
Hugs,
Annie x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great photos of the "Robin Hood" area of England. And I chuckled at your comment about the meaning of North and South in those signs, depending on who there is interpreting them. It reminds me of when a coworker who moved here (Connecticut US) from somewhere else said our highways were very confusing. He said the signs all say North and South, yet the highways actually go East and West. (One of those highways, Interstate 95, goes North / South along the entire eastern part of the US, from Maine to Florida. But as it traverses through Connecticut, it takes an East / West path, hence his confusion. But us natives understood why it said North and South, and which way went where.) I like some of the buildings you showed there. Some of them reminded me of buildings I've seen in the series Midsomer Murders, which I enjoy watching. I like your funnies. All very true.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I feel SO inadequate right now. I never read Robin Hood, so these references are truly over my 4'11" head. However, I enjoyed your photos, especially of the bridge. And of course, your dog funnies are great. The first one with the cat had me laughing so hard, I almost fell off my computer chair.

Have a super rest of Friday with your mother and a great weekend, too, dear Angela.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I just saw what Anne wrote and I have to agree that some of the homes and buildings you share remind me of Midsomer Murders, too. It's definitely one of my favorite British shows.

mamapez5 said...

An interesting post today Angela. That is not a part of the country I am very familiar with, but some of it is very pretty.
I laughed at the dog jokes. That last one sums it up really. It truly is a dog's life for our pampered pets. Kate x

Crafty Claire said...

Thank you for sharing your journey and the history. I often wonder when we are out and about what inspired the street names. Hope you have a lovely weekend xxx

Zoechaos said...

Fascinating piece of local history, thank you. History has always interested me as does genealogy and the movements of people around the island so your post was completely absorbing to read. x

Mac Mable said...

I enjoyed the History trip Angles and what a lovely trip out you had x. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos and love Maisie's adorable face x. Thank you too for the funnies at the end of your interesting and wonderful post x.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Loved the trip and recognised the names too. TFS.
XX

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10